Click on a picture to launch slide show
The wild frontier, right in front of the Franke Center for the Arts!
In Marshall’s early years a large oak tree stood in the middle of Mansion Street (between today’s Oaklawn Hospital and the Franke Center for the Arts building). The tree had a platform lodged in its branches where Lyman Fish “The Wolf Hunter” acted as the night sentry to remove the wolves with his rifle when necessary. The tree was removed in 1875 and thankfully a local photographer took a picture of it for posterity.