Click on a picture to launch slide show
The Marshall Historical Marker Program was reorganized in 2011 when the profits from the WE’RE IN THE MOVIES 1940 project were placed in a new Marshall Area Historical Marker Fund at the Marshall Community Foundation. At that time a new partnership was formed, where the Marshall Historical Society is responsible for overseeing the marker program with a volunteer curator; the city of Marshall is responsible for installing new markers; and the Marshall Community Foundation maintains the new fund and accepts new donations.
It takes time to get approval for a new historical marker. A detailed application needs to be completed with several types of documentation along with an application fee. If the proposed marker is approved, it is then produced by Sewah Studios in Marietta, Ohio. A new marker costs the local applicant $2,000 but the state of Michigan retains ownership of the marker.