View All

Gallery

  • Rugers_for_web_too_small

Click on a picture to launch slide show

Historic Marshall

Rugers_2_for_web

Founded in 1830 by Sidney Ketchum and settlers from New York and New England, the town was named in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall.

Founded in 1830 by Sidney Ketchum and settlers from New York and New England, the town was named in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall.  Marshall’s early hopes of becoming the state capital were not rewarded, but the coming of the Michigan Central Railroad in 1844 increased prosperity, and the town remained a rail center until the 1870’s.  In 1863 the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers was founded here. 

Many citizens had strong abolitionist views and in 1847 they prevented the return of fugitive slave Adam Crosswhite to Kentucky. 

The architectural excellences of Marshall’s homes are known throughout the Midwest.  Each September, Marshall opens its historic homes for tours with this year’s being the 50th

When people think of Marshall, Schuler’s Restaurant and Pub also comes to mind.  The 100-year-old business is a nationally recognized restaurant of award-winning hospitality located in the heart of Marshall.   

107 N. Kalamazoo Ave · Marshall, MI 49068
269-781-8544
Find us on facebook Facebook